Delhi University Appointment Dispute for Pro-VC
The controversy following the appointment of Registrar at Delhi University (DU) took a dramatic turn on Thursday 22 October 2020.
On Thursday, Vice Chancellor Prof. Yogesh Kumar Tyagi, while rejecting all the decisions of Pro-Vice Chancellor Prof. PC Joshi, was appointed as Pro-Vice Chancellor to Dr. Geeta Bhatt.
Dr. Geeta Bhatt also took over on Thursday evening, but not even a few hours had passed that the Education Ministry had rejected all the decisions taken by the DU Vice Chancellor.
The Ministry of Education issued a notice late night addressed to the Registrar Dr Vikas Gupta, stating that the Pro-VC informed the Ministry on October 21 about the status of DU. It was also told that the Vice Chancellor is on medical leave, in spite of this, neither he is handing over the work to Prof. PC Joshi nor joining the office himself. Not only this, Executive Vice Chancellor Prof. Without taking cognizance of PC Joshi, the Vice-Chancellor also appointed the Registrar and also questioned the Executive Council meeting.
DU Office order for appointment of Registrar (Dr. Vikas Gupta)
The notice issued by Deputy Secretary Virendra Kumar Singh stated that the Vice Chancellor is on medical leave. Any order issued by him during the holiday is not valid nor should be followed by the DU administration. Until the chancellor officially joins office.
If the Vice Chancellor wants to come to the office, he must first submit a medical fitness certificate. Executive Vice Chancellor Pro PC Joshi will receive all the powers of Vice Chancellor.
A round of notice lasted throughout the day
On Wednesday, Prof PC Joshi was discharged as the Executive Vice Chancellor after a whole day of fighting over the appointment of the Registrar. Vice Chancellor Prof Yogesh Tyagi also handed over the command of the post of Executive Vice Chancellor to Dr. Geeta Bhatt. Dr. Geeta Bhatt on Thursday evening declared all decisions taken by Prof. PC Joshi as Executive Vice Chancellors invalid.
The appointment dispute began on Wednesday when a notification was uploaded on DU’s website. In which it was said that Prof. PC Jha is given the additional charge of the post of Director and Registrar of Southern Campus. However, the notification was withdrawn within about an hour. Later Executive Vice Chancellor Prof PC Joshi held a meeting of the Executive Council questioning the appointment of PC Jha. In which Dr Vikas Gupta was stamped for the post of Registrar.
On Thursday afternoon, Vice Chancellor Prof Yogesh Tyagi issued an order. In which it was stated that the Vice Chancellor appoints Dr. Geeta Bhatt, Director of the Board of Non-Collegiate Women Education, as Executive Vice Chancellor in place of Prof. PC Joshi, exercising the rights under the 11G (4) provisions of DU Act 1922.
Statement of Rajesh Jha ( Secretary Academic for Action & Development ) regarding this issue
Rajesh Jha (Secretary AAD (Academic for Action and Development) says that the credibility of the University of Delhi has been affected. The hundred-year-old educational institution has a glorious history. The longing and greed to gain good positions in university administration and colleges This led to a lousy gang-war situation in the Vice-Regal lodge, where posts and chairs are being forcibly occupied.
There has been a statement from the Vice Chancellor’s Office that Dr. Geeta Bhatt has been appointed as the Executive Vice Chancellor. He took charge on 22 October. She will also continue to be the director of the Board of Non-Collegiate Women’s Education.
Timeline of Events for interview and appointment issue in University of Delhi
- Interview process for the post of Registrar on October 10.
- On October 20, UGC organized an online meeting with reference to the interview.
- 21 October- Notification regarding appointment of Prof. PC Jha released on DU website at 10 am.
- Notification was withdrawn by 11 am on Wednesday.
- Executive Vice Chancellor Prof PC Joshi questioned the appointment of PC Jha.
- The executive council meeting started late in the evening.
- The Executive Council assigned Prof. Suman Kundu as Director of Southern Campus and Dr. Vikas Gupta as Registrar.
- Prof. PC Jha called the Executive Council illegal.
- Late night Executive Vice Chancellor asked DU staff not to accept the order of Prof. PC Jha.
- Notification regarding appointment of Dr. Vikas Gupta released on Thursday morning.
- On Thursday itself, the Vice Chancellor released Prof. Joshi. Dr. Geeta Bhatt was made the Executive Vice Chancellor.
- Dr. Geeta Bhatt issued notice, declaring all the orders of the former Executive Vice Chancellor invalid.
- Ministry of Education issued late night notice. Changes the Chancellor’s decisions.